The world urgently needs smart, visionary government.
We’re here to help.
Your role will be to take on and own exciting engineering challenges. We look for people who want to work in full stack, cross-functional environments, though you’ll especially be supporting our work through backend development. You’ll be working on and building out infrastructure and APIs to support a scalable microservice-based platform. The platform is comprised of exciting user-facing features; from personalised mixed content feeds to digital marketplaces.
Apolitical is a GovTech start-up accelerating the transformation of government; we help public servants find the policies, peers and partners they need to tackle the world’s biggest problems. Every other sector has been transformed by platforms. Launched in 2017, now public servants, policymakers and politicians in 170+ countries are using it to learn, find world-changing ideas, connections and partners. Our members range from mayors, ministers and heads of state to millennials pioneering digital innovations.
Apolitical is one of FastCompany’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World in Social Good in 2018 – along with Genentech and Patagonia. We won 3rd place out of 2000 companies on Escape The City’s “best to escape to in 2019”. We are building a team and culture in which everyone is supported to grow and thrive.
You need to have:
- 5+ years of experience building full stack web applications
- API development experience, particularly with NodeJS
- DevOps experience, particularly Google Cloud Platform and Kubernetes, is a strong advantage
- Exposure to Rust would be a strong plus
- Some WordPress experience would be helpful (as would experience working with, and migrating from WordPress to microservice architectures)
- A sense of responsibility for our platform’s security and user’s trust – this is essential
- Demonstrated commitment to quality of execution, documentation, and continual improvement
- A team mentality and an understanding that our work is always delivered together
- Flexibility – we’re a start-up, we are figuring things out together. Be prepared to take initiative and occasionally get your hands dirty, to grow as we grow
Would be nice to have:
- Contributions to the open source community – we serve our community and encourage our engineers to serve theirs
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Start-up experience – especially at product driven companies
We’re a for profit company set up by mission driven serial entrepreneurs Robyn Scott and Lisa Witter.
We have been profiled by the WEF and Forbes for turning public sector improvement into a business opportunity. It’s a big business opportunity: government spending accounts for 40% of global GDP – that’s $30 trillion.
We have partnerships with and are funded by the European Union, UK Cabinet Office, Canadian gov and top business investors from places like Blackrock, Streetcar and MindFoundry.
- £50,000-60,000 per year depending on experience.
- Being part of a team committed to hiring world class talent and helping them thrive
- Genuine commitment to mentoring and growing the team we have
- Real reward for your commitment – we are building a stock options scheme for the team; so you’re as bought into the company as we are
- Enviable office space – PUBLIC Hall is in the heart of Westminster
- Twenty smart, passionate colleagues who will help you get settled in no time
- The chance to shape and build a platform with global reach and impact – Apolitical puts amazing ideas and connections at the fingertips of people in 170+ governments, helping to improve and shape the world we live in
How to apply
Send your CV including a link to your work (eg in Github) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this role will be based in our London office.