The world urgently needs smart, visionary government.
We’re here to help.
Your role will be to take on and own exciting engineering challenges. You’ll be working on user-facing microservices on top of Kubernetes and Google Cloud Platform. Features range from personalised feeds and recommendation engines to digital marketplaces. You will have the chance to drive key decisions about the technology solutions we build, and have enormous say in the growth and iteration of the Apolitical platform. We want to build a world class team and culture, in which everyone is supported to grow and thrive.
Apolitical is a global technology company accelerating the transformation of government. We help public servants find the policies, peers and partners they need to tackle the world’s biggest problems. We are one of FastCompany’s top ten most innovative companies in the world in social good in 2018 – along with Genentech and Patagonia.
Every other sector has been transformed by platforms. Government is the final frontier for technology-enabled sharing and connecting. Apolitical is a govtech start up that launched its platform in 2017 – now public servants, policymakers and politicians in 170+ countries are using it for peer-led, future-facing learning. Our members range from mayors, ministers and heads of state to millennials pioneering digital innovations.
Lead Engineer / Head of Engineering
You need to have:
- 10+ years of experience building full stack web applications
- A desire to pair and mentor, with an understanding that our work is always delivered as a team
- Strong product instincts and an interest in understanding our users
- Sense of ownership, with proof that you can oversee the end-to-end delivery of features
- A polyglot mentality and experience working with a range of languages and frameworks
- A strong grounding in any of NodeJS, React, PHP or Rust are particularly important
- Ability to build design and build new containerized microservices – Kubernetes is favored
- Experience with data and machine learning – Python a plus
- Experience in Cloud Platforms, GCP a plus
- Keen sense of responsibility for our platform’s security and user’s trust
- Demonstrated commitment to quality of execution alongside speed of iteration
You need to be;
- Excited about new technologies; we use machine learning tools to get our members what they need
- Keen to learn new skills constantly; we’re a polyglot team and proud
- Flexible; be ready to take initiative and get your hands dirty as we figure things out together
- Into making the world a better place; impact should get you up the morning
Would be nice to have;
- Contributions to the open source community – we serve our community and support our engineers to serve theirs
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Start-up experience – especially at product driven companies
We’re a for profit company set up by mission driven serial entrepreneurs Robyn Scott and Lisa Witter.
We have been profiled by the WEF and Forbes for turning public sector improvement into a business opportunity. It’s a big business opportunity: government spending accounts for 40% of global GDP – that’s $30 trillion.
We have partnerships with and are funded by the European Union, UK Cabinet Office, Canadian gov and top business investors from places like Blackrock, Streetcar and MindFoundry.
- Being part of a team committed to hiring world class talent and helping them thrive
- Genuine commitment to mentoring and growing the team we have
- Real reward for your commitment – we are building a stock options scheme for the team; so you’re as bought into the company as we are
- All product team members get 2 full learning days every month – for courses, reading or side projects that help them grow their skills
- Enviable office space – currently a beautiful social impact membership space in the heart of Mayfair – soon a Westminster GovTech hub
- Twenty smart, passionate colleagues who will help you get settled in no time
- The chance to shape and build a platform with global reach and impact – Apolitical puts amazing ideas and connections at the fingertips of people in 140+ governments, helping to improve and shape the world we live in
Send your CV including a link to your work (eg in Github) to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org