Apolitical is the award-winning learning network for government. Our mission is to help governments solve the world’s hardest challenges. Our platform is used by thousands of policymakers in 170+ countries.
Apolitical’s aim of transforming government can only be achieved if we continue to engage a diverse range of public servants across the world. That’s why we’re looking for someone with creativity, ingenuity and excellent communication skills who can develop and execute engagement strategies and produce compelling email experiences for our members.
- Developing and executing strategies to boost platform engagement
- Designing and running email experiences — both free and paid — for our user base of global public servants
- This includes designing, choosing stories for and sending out our flagship weekly briefing, which goes out to all our members in the public service
- Working across teams to produce original content and campaigns to drive engagement, from short courses to weekly newsletters
What you need
- Previous experience in engaging audiences: You’ve worked on projects with audience engagement at the core such as delivering high engagement emails and campaigns, designing engaging content, running online events etc
- Previous experience working with content: You have excellent writing skills and a demonstrable ability to design and produce high-quality content
- Creativity: You enjoy thinking of new ways to engage public servants and deliver value to our user base
- Excellent communication: Your communication is clear and compelling and you’re confident communicating with seniors and working with other teams
- A data and goal-driven mindset: You enjoy assessing the effectiveness of your work by analysing data and user research
What you might have
- Experience in a communications-focussed role
- User-research skills
- Exposure to government or a related space
- Exposure to technology start-ups, in particular product teams
- Experience in a strategic or project management role
- Stock options: Our employee options plan gives you a stake in our vision.
- Flexibility: Everyone works differently. Whether it’s early mornings, late nights or a day at home, we support what gives you energy and makes you effective.
- Holidays: Unlimited holidays, trusting people to take what they need when they need. As a restorative reboot, we give everyone on the team the last Friday of every month off.
- Maternity, paternity, and adoption leave: Generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Development: Learning and development budgets for books, conferences and courses. We also offer learning days.
- Wellbeing: We have a subscription for all employees to HeathAssured, a leading workplace wellbeing provider.
- Library: We have a constantly growing library, to which every team member contributes their favourite book. There’s also a bigger library in Public Hall, our office in the heart of Whitehall
Salary: £30-45k, depending on experience
How to apply
Please send your application to email@example.com by Wednesday 21st October. Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please submit the following:
- CV (no more than 2 pages)
- Task, to be sent via email or via google docs
Part 1. Put together an example email for our users in the public service – you should do this on a topic of your choice
Part 2. Describe your process for designing and delivering the engagement email campaign you outlined in Part 1.
Put together an example email for our users in the public service on a topic of your choice. The email should be an example issue of a newsletter that our members could subscribe to. Our emails range from instructional (a lesson on a particular topic), to weekly policy and skills briefings (a curation of top stories and inspiring resources). We also want to play with wider formats and draw on the community — for instance, surfacing the network through suggested connections and popular Q&As. While our emails would normally consist mostly of our own original content, for the purpose of this exercise you are also welcome to find fitting content from other sources and/or point to fictional content. The goal of this exercise is to see how well you are able to put together an engaging email experience that speaks to our target audience of public servants Get creative!