Join us and help make government smarter to solve the world’s hardest challenges
We’re a fast-growing team of ambitious, mission-driven people. We care deeply about making the world better and we share a belief that government plays an essential role in tackling our greatest challenges, from the climate and refugee crises to cybersecurity and the future of jobs.
Our mission is to make government smarter to solve the world’s hardest challenges.
Our moonshot is to accelerate the adoption of better skills and solutions in government, so that 1% of governments’ $30 trillion annual budget is spent 50% more effectively, unlocking $150 billion each year for society.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT AT APOLITICAL
Our mission demands the purposeful, collaborative work of a talented and diverse team. To make this possible, these are the operating principles we work by:
1. First serve the global public service: For any new idea or decision, always ask: What will most help the people working in government better serve society?
2. Figure stuff out: We are disrupting an industry; there is no playbook.
3. Get the right things done: Startups live or die by velocity. So be ambitious about scope and timing but rather do a few things well than many things badly.
4. Own your power: Take on responsibility, and take responsibility. Remember leadership is a behaviour not a position.
5. Assume the best of people: People live up to your expectations of them. So trust then verify.
6. Live by our values to earn trust: Apply the New York Times Test: could you hold your head high if your conversations and actions were described on the front page of the New York Times?
7. Look for win-wins: Startups have limited resources, so look for leverage opportunities and win-wins across the company. (We generally try to avoid buzzwords; forgive us these!).
8. Learn voraciously: Embracing professional development is part of everyone’s job description. And sometimes mistakes are your best teachers. Analyse them. Most mistakes are forgivable; failing to learn is not.
9. Design for joy: No one is going to change the world if they’re exhausted and miserable. So take breaks. Get sleep. Play. Find ways to make work fun, for you and others.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
(In addition to working with smart, kind people on one of the most important challenges of our time…)
Stock options: Our employee options plan gives you a stake in our vision.
Flexibility: Everyone works differently. Whether it’s early mornings, late nights or a day at home, we support what gives you energy and makes you effective.
Holidays: We have unlimited holidays, trusting people to take what they need when they need. As a restorative reboot, we give everyone on the team the last Friday of every month off.
Office: We’re based in beautiful Public Hall, in the heart of Westminster and overlooking the River Thames. Our Berlin office is in the fun Mitte district.
Maternity, paternity and adoption leave: We offer generous maternity, paternity and adoption leave
Development: We have learning and development budgets for books, conferences and courses. We also offer learning days.
Socials: We have a fortnightly board game evening (yes, we’re a bit wonky) plus a range of other fun team events.
Knowledge-sharing: Every Friday we have talks in the office — from team members sharing their work and from our public service members, often when visiting London from around the world.
Wellbeing: We’re registered for the UK’s Cycle-to-Work scheme, so you can buy a bike and cycling accessories tax-free. We have a fresh fruit bowl in the office.
Library: We have a constantly growing library, to which every team member contributes their favourite book. There’s also a bigger library in Public Hall.
Discounts: Exclusive discounts and rewards at over 30,000 brands.
Please note that all applicants must have the right to work in the UK. Positions are London-based, unless stated.
We’re always happy to meet smart people who care about government. If you love the idea of working with us, drop us a line: we’ll soon be looking for more people in a range of roles in London and other locations.
Work with the Apolitical Academy
Apolitical Academy is an independent, non-profit venture established by the Apolitical Foundation & the Daniel Sachs Foundation. Our mission is to make the public service work for people everywhere by supporting the the next generation of transformational public leaders.
Interest in the Academy should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
How we hire
We care deeply about being a fair and inclusive company (see more on our equality opportunity hiring policy below). To support this, we use a platform called Applied which is designed to take biases out of hiring. This means that if your CV passes an initial screen, you’ll be invited to answer a set of questions which appear anonymously to our reviewers. Whether you get the job or not, you’ll also receive feedback on your application.
Non-discrimination and equal opportunity policy
Apolitical does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and clients.
Apolitical is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, colour, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.