How to be digital in the Canadian public service
Free Online Boot Camp | Exclusive for Canada’s Public Servants | Register by 20 January
Starting January 2020, learn how to apply a digital mindset to whatever part of government you’re trying to impact. If you’re a Canadian public servant (from any level of government), or a part of academia, this boot camp is for you.
What you’ll learn
1. How to apply the culture and values of digital workplaces — even if you don’t work in tech.
2. The top trends driving digital transformation worldwide.
3. Best practices for working better — like Agile, human-centred design and Lean.
Refer to the weekly outline at the bottom of the page.
How you’ll learn
We’ve packaged hands-on activities, case studies, videos and reading lists into short lessons. Each lesson will be emailed to you over a 10-week period and are designed to take 10 minutes or less to do. Once you’re done, you’ll earn an Apolitical certificate.
To get the most out of the boot camp
1. TEAM UP to stay motivated. Partner with colleagues to discuss and apply what you learn.
2. JOIN A WEBINAR to take your learning a step further. Connect with peers and experts, across Canada through our webinars.
Open to all participants from the public service, civil society, and academia. If you are not yet a member of Apolitical, you will be taken to a signup page that will automatically register you for the boot camp.
To co-create this boot camp, we’ve partnered with Canadian public servants. Thank you to the following partners for their contributions:
- Project lead: Ontario Digital Service (Ontario Government)
- Canada School of Public Service Digital Academy (Government of Canada)
- BCDevExchange (British Columbia Public Service)
- Digital Innovation Office (Government of Alberta)
- Government of Manitoba – Digital Transformation Group
- Nova Scotia Digital Service
- Government of Saskatchewan – Digital Strategy and Operations, IT Division Group
- Government of Yukon – eServices for Citizens
Week-to-Week Lesson Plan
Week 1: Defining Digital
Learn what digital is (and what it isn’t) and how it applies to government.
Week 2: Digital government In Canada
Find out what provincial and federal governments are doing to drive change.
Week 3: International strategies
Get a snapshot of global approaches to government transformation, plus Webinar 1.
Week 4: Best practices and failures
Why we should learn from failure.
Week 5: Culture
How to shift government towards a digital-first culture.
Week 6: Processes
Learn about the user-centred methodologies that make government services work better.
Week 7: Business models
Customer journeys that may need to change to provide the best overall experience, plus Webinar 2.
Week 8: Technology and trends
What’s shaping the future of government.
Week 9: Get started
Practical things you can do to change government.
Week 10: Earn your certificate
Get tips to stay on top of the digital government movement, and join your peers for the final webinar.