Johannesburg, South Africa
Apolitical Group Limited
Apolitical is an international platform connecting the best ideas and people in the public service to solve the hardest challenges facing our societies. Our mission is to make government great for citizens everywhere.
Apolitical Foundation is an independent non-profit partner of Apolitical Group Limited. The Foundation’s primary project is Apolitical Academy, a partnership between Apolitical Foundation and the Daniel Sachs Foundation.
The Academy’s mission is to make the public service work for people everywhere by supporting the next generation of ethical and transformational public leaders. The Academy offers a series of non-partisan fellowship programmes designed to prepare diverse groups of talented and innovative leaders for careers in government or political leadership.
In addition to the Foundation’s primary project, the Foundation administers in-house leadership training and carries out advocacy work.
We are looking for a dynamic and highly-driven full-time advocacy officer to support the work that Apolitical Foundation does.
Based in Melrose Arch, Johannesburg, South Africa, and working closely with and reporting to Apolitical Foundation’s Development Manager, the advocacy officer will be responsible for providing research and briefing support, conference and event management, producing written content for publications and online, drafting and managing written correspondence, assisting in the establishment of relationships with various stakeholders, and providing digital, website and media support.
The ideal candidate must provide us with their resume and 300-500 written editorial work to firstname.lastname@example.org
Qualities and Qualifications
- Higher degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or PR;
- 3-5 years work experience in advocacy work and implementing advocacy projects;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to network with various stakeholders;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Attention to detail and time management skills;
- Comfortable analysing both qualitative information and quantitative data;
- Ability to work both independently and within a team;
- Proven work experience as a writer and content manager;
- Basic technical knowledge of web publishing;
- Enthusiastic about enabling the establishment and smooth running of the organisation, and building the systems necessary to support it;
- “Can do” attitude and ability to take the initiative in a relatively unstructured environment;
- Ability to engage with members of the public and high level partners in an efficient and professional manner;
- Fluent and highly competent in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite and WordPress;
- Digital native – familiar with major social media platforms; able to use and adopt new software and troubleshoot basic IT issues;
- Abiding interest in global political transformation and commitment to the values of the organisation;
- Innovative – “thinks out of the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of working.
Responsibilities and Opportunities
Research, Content Creation & Distribution:
- Conducting in-depth research and producing briefing documents on global and regional funding opportunities for organisational programs and initiatives and linking those to the events that the Foundation hosts and platforms that its leadership appears on;
- Researching donor prospects and grant-making organizations,setting up and attending strategic meetings, drafting and distributing marketing materials;
- Conducting in-depth research and producing briefing documents on political systems, electoral cycles and the geopolitics of multiple regions;
- Designing a Communications & Advocacy plan with an editorial calendar for the Foundation;
- Collecting and documenting project stories for sharing, learning, and public engagement;
- Ensuring that the Foundation is consistently using uniform messages from the Communication and Advocacy Plan to ensure brand consistency and messaging;
- Creating a map of all the partners, donors and applicants we want to reach and incorporating it as an objective in the advocacy plan;
- Monitoring ongoing developments and generating new ideas for content publication and event themes;
- Creating and publishing engaging online content and for various publications;
- Producing a content management strategy for Apolitical Foundation.
Building Partnerships and Managing Stakeholder Relationships:
- Researching potential higher education partnerships in Southern Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and Latin America;
- Conducting market audits of non-profit organisations operating in the same space in Southern and Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe and Latin America;
- Researching potential partnerships with high-level leaders and individuals committed to the development of public sector leadership throughout the world;
- Assisting with the management of Apolitical Foundation’s global candidate and stakeholder relationships;
- Engaging with global partners and donors in line with our advocacy and communication objectives;
- Ensuring there is continuous information flow to various stakeholders on public affairs events, conferences, thought leadership seminars, webinars and meetings;
- Networking with various stakeholders and establishing and maintaining productive partnerships.
Events / Media / Public Relations:
- Organising events, webinars, conferences, thought leadership seminars and meetings to ensure that the foundation’s advocacy plan is active and ongoing;
- Organising capital and funding campaigns and general public relations with new and existing stakeholders;
- Developing and distributing foundation communications – including emails, newsletters, audio-visual and other stakeholder presentations.
- Management of organisational diary and calendar commitments in consultation with the Development Manager and the Executive Director;
- Managing content distribution to online channels and social media platforms to increase web traffic and online awareness about the foundation and its work.
Our Work Style
Apolitical Foundation values hard and smart work, whilst having fun along the way, and respects and supports people’s lives outside of work. We are a highly flexible and supportive workplace — location, hours, holidays — asking team members to consider the needs and deadlines of the team. We are committed to building a company that is great for the world and great for the people who work with us.
Non-Discrimination & Equal Opportunity Policy
Apolitical Foundation does not and shall not discrimination the basis of race, colour, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors and clients.
Apolitical Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate, and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, colour, gender, national origin, age,religion, creed, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.